Search This Blog

Monday 20 January 2014

The $2 Beauty Hack That Makes You Look Like You Have Your Act Together

By: Colleen

Puuuuurrrrrple
Not so long ago (okay, like, less than a year ago) I knew basically nothing about hair. I knew how to straighten it and how to....straighten it. And maybe put it in a side bun. Pinterest really turned things around for me, but so did a new found disposable income and tuning into some amazing beauty blogs with great tutorials. Back in the day (like 6 months ago. No one's counting, right? Right?!) I used to get volume by never conditioning my hair. Conditioner just weighed it down. Since I've learned the error of my ways and have started conditioning (and deep conditioning - be proud!) but that means when I need to Jack It To Jesus I need help. Bump-its really aren't my ideal solution, so enter the teasing comb.




 This little sucker is awesome for so many reasons. The obvious is the tease. That's it's namesake, so clearly that should be on the top of the list. Notice the V shape the bristles make and how they're really rough? This is great for grabbing hair and roughing it up. In case you've never teased before, let me help. The most important part of any tease is to only move the brush or comb in one direction - toward your scalp. Under no circumstances should you get that comb in there and wiggle it back and forth in an effort to get volume. You will succeed, but you will hate yourself when you want normal, non-ratnesty looking hair again.
I mean, I don't know why you wouldn't want to look like this all the time.



Section off the layer of hair that sits on top - the layer you will be able to see when it's down or pulled back or whatever you're going to do with it. The rat-tail end on mine is useful here. Pin this forward. Maybe sprits a bit of hair spray or volumizer on the section to be teased, then carefully brush against the grain, taking care to not rat it. Once you have it as high as you'd like, sprits again with hair spray. Let it dry a little so you don't smush it too much with the next step. Take the front section you pinned back and carefully place it over the teased section, making sure to cover everything. Then comes the second use for this comb - use the rough bristles to smooth the top layer and make everything nice and cohesive. This sucker is awesome for taking ponytails in particular from "I was too busy trying to remember to put on real shoes to go to the store today to give a F." to Kate Middleton is going for a smoothie.

The best part? I snagged this comb for about $2 at Sally's Beauty Supply. And it's purple. So, that basically takes care of itself in my book.

Do you tease? Are you a tease? Do people even say that anymore?

Colleen is teasing at @bevilledeggs on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment