Search This Blog

Friday 31 January 2014

Smushy Mascara is a Great Thing: A Review of Maybelline Volum Express Mega Plush Mascara

By: Colleen

Mascara has the most ridiculous shelf life ever, am I right? I mean, three months and you're supposed to pitch a tube that is maybe, what? A quarter gone? It makes me sick. Unfortunately, as someone with kind of sensitive eyeballs, it literally will make me sick if I don't stick to the 3 month rule at least kind of closely. I had been nursing my Benefit's They're Real! for entirely too long, but this week I couldn't deny that my eyeballs were itchy. I LOVE They're Real! but wasn't wanting to schlep an hour to the nearest Sephora or wait to order online. Plus I get bored easily and like to try new things.

Whilst standing in the makeup aisles of my local Target I remembered hearing really awesome things about Maybelline Volum Express Mega Plush Mascara. I was digging the blue color of the tube, so I decided to go for it (my selection process is so technical, I know). And you know what? I'm really digging it.

I love It so much I get a little broody with my love.


I'm convinced that what makes or breaks a mascara is 50% wand and 50% product because let's face it you aren't exactly going to shove a different brush into a tube of mascara. If you do that don't tell me because I will judge you. The brush on this one isn't terribly noteworthy, but it gets the job done and gets it done well. Please also tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks the brush vaguely resembles the branding.



The wand, though, is pretty exciting. See the little indent in it? That's a pivot/spring/bendy point. The brush has give to it to keep your hand light and to make it slightly less painful when you accidentally jab that sucker in your eyeball. The spring is perfect! It gives enough to prevent spider lashes and clumps, but not so much that you can't get really nice, even coverage or wiggle it down in the base of your lashes. I've never seen this in a wand before and, frankly, I need this first thing in the morning when I'm half awake and trying not to get mascara everywhere.

Two Coats Magoats


The formulation is a gel-mousse one, so it is super light and airy. It doesn't clump or flake and is so comfortable to wear. This is the t-shirt and sweats of mascara. It builds really well, too - one coat gives me some great definition and is perfect for a more natural "I swear this is just what I look like when I roll out of bed" look. Two coats will crank your lashes up to eleven. This is definitely more of a volume than length formula, but don't count this baby out of the length game. Bottom line: I'd rebuy that.

Are you rocking the Mega Plush? Are you into Maybelline Mascaras? What's your favorite?

Colleen is mega plush on Twitter.  @bevilledeggs

No comments:

Post a Comment