Search This Blog

Monday 27 January 2014

You Have Mail: Birchbox January 2014

By: Colleen


Out of all of the monthly beauty box subscriptions out there, I think Birchbox is the most popular. For the uninitiated, Birchbox is a monthly subscription for $10. You fill out a beauty profile and they send you 4-5 deluxe samples, plus one lifestyle bonus item (whatever the staffers have found and fallen in love with that month). The lifestyle extra never takes away from your samples. Which is awesome, because the samples are where it is at. I personally really like Birchbox because it exposes me to lots of different brands and products I probably would never buy for myself, or skip right over at the store. If you fall in love with something and need the full sized item, sampled items ship for free in the month that they are sampled. Here's a look at what arrived this month!



100% Pure Nourishing Body Cream
I will admit, I was disappointed in the size of these samples. Three baby packets? Come on. But when I opened one up and smoothed it on....oh baby. It makes your skin feel like velvet and has a delicious, but not overwhelming, coconut smell to it. My husband "accidentally" bumped up against me after I put this on and asked how I got so soft so fast. That speaks for itself.



Nail Rock Velvet
This is a two step manicure system for a textured nail. You paint your nails with the polish (a really nice, deep purple) and then dip them into a little pot with velvet dust and brush off the excess. Your nails then feel soft and fuzzy like velvet. I haven't tried this one out yet (just haven't gotten around to it) but I'm pleased with the sample size. I should be able to get multiple manicures out of it, and the polish is a nice enough color to use after the dust is gone.



Paula's Choice RESIST C15 Super Booster
This sample is TINY, but a little goes a very long way, and vitamin C breaks down so fast you should really only buy what you're going to use within 3 months, so I don't mind the size. I was very excited to get this little guy because 1) Paula's Choice rocks and 2) I have some darker spots on my skin from acne scars. Vitamin C is a great way to lighten those marks. I did use this for a few days and loved it, but the weather is really harsh here and this serum was drying my skin out, so I put it to the side for a little bit. I'll be resuming use shortly.

Toni&Guy PREP Heat Protection Mist
Boy, do I love a good heat protector! This stuff really delivers. It has a nice salon smell to it (not too floral or fruity, just pleasant) and has a very light texture. It still delivers moisture but doesn't weigh your hair down. A full sized bottle is $15 and I might have to go snatch one up! This sample size is HUGE, too!


Ahmad Tea London
I have yet to try these samples (I like tea, but I need to be in the mood for it) but they smell really yummy! I usually don't like receiving food as the Lifestyle Extra because I'm gluten intolerant and I don't want to risk not being able to eat it. Maybe I'll ship these off to Llora - she is tea obsessed!

What did you think? Do you subscribe to any monthly boxes? 

Sample Colleen on Twitter. @bevilledeggs

No comments:

Post a Comment