Search This Blog

Monday 3 February 2014

Lazy Beauty - How I Get Fabulous Hair While Sleeping

I am a night showerer. Some people have to bathe in the A.M. to wake up, but I just can't fall asleep unless I'm clean. It also helps me eek out just a bit more sleep in the morning, which is the most important thing ever. But my hair is thick and getting long, and while I am trying to avoid heat styling it takes forever to air dry. I often need to pass out while my hair is still wet, but need it to look presentable in the morning. My hair is naturally wavy and takes shape very easily, so I've been playing around with sleeping styles to get different results. There will be future posts detailing various other styles, but today I want to talk about waves.

My hair is naturally wavy, but it isn't naturally very wavy. The biggest indicator that it is wavy is that it holds a shape well, and air dries not stick straight. If I want it to actually look like I have wavy hair I need to do something to it. I wait until my hair is still damp but not excessively so before adding some curling cream to it (I like Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves because the name is funny, it is really hydrating, and smells really good. I'm not hard to please) and twisting into two Princess Leah buns. I try to place the buns higher on my head for sleep purposes, but sometimes if I can't get comfortable with them on the side of my head I'll move them a little to the back. I make sure to twist the hair away from my face for a more flattering hair pattern and secure with bobby pins (I think these are more comfortable, but softer hair elastics would work, too. You do you.). I try to leave the ends out because straighter ends look a bit more natural on wavy hair, but your could double back and curl them or tuck them it, it's up to you. In the morning I shake everything out and examine the damage.

I feel like the girl from The Ring if the girl from The Ring had fabulous hair.

I've noticed my roots tend to get a bit flat with this method, so I'll wet the top with some water, shove my fingers in there at random and blow dry in a really sloppy version of finger waves. Finish everything off with your favorite light hold hair spray and run out the door!

There should be more coffee in my life.
I do think it is worth mentioning that I don't have any luck with this style on dry hair. You would think winding your wavy hair back into the buns would help preserve the style, but I end up with straight hair that has super weird lumps in it. A loose, high pony is a great way to save the waves.

Are you a night or morning showerer? Do you ever go to bed with wet hair? What's your favorite Leah hair style? 

Colleen is waving on Twitter @bevilledeggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment