Search This Blog

Monday 17 February 2014

Why I Love My Pony 'Poo: A Review

As you may recall, I'm trying to grow my hair out, which is no easy feat. I've been battling breakage, damage, and other issues along the way, so the journey hasn't been the easiest. Getting myself aligned with the right products has really been helpful in not wanting to rip all of my hair out (counterproductive, much?).
If you look up "how to grow your hair out" or "how to make hair grow faster" you're bound to find someone mentioning Mane 'N Tail Shampoo and Conditioner, and with good reason. These have a cult following. I was really hesitant to try these because they aren't sulfate free, but sometimes I suffer from funky scalp issues. I usually get some flakes and junk in the winter months, but last summer my hair started stinking like wet dog. It was only the hair, and it was only when it was wet, but it was awful and embarrassing and concerning. I wound up being able to fix the problem with dandruff shampoo (the zinc that zaps dandruff also is antibacterial, so it can kill other things, too. That problem hasn't returned, but I have been looking for a dandruff shampoo that is color safe for quite a while for that reason. I found out that Mane 'N Tail has a specialty line that is offered at Sally's Beauty Supply, that they have a dandruff shampoo, and that it is color safe. Jackpot! A 16 oz bottle is right under $10, but if you only wash every other day or so, then it will still last forever. You also can alternate between the dandruff variety and the regular, depending on your scalp's needs. The shampoo has olive oil in it, so it is very hydrating and my color is no worse for the wear. This stuff is my holy grail shampoo. I haven't seen any flakes since I've started using this shampoo, and I've noticed my scalp isn't nearly as itchy as it used to be. The shampoo itself has the trademark blue hue from the zinc and is a bit on the thicker side.

I also picked up the Color Care version to alternate washes and I love it! It's clear and a bit thinner than the dandruff shampoo, but still has the olive oil complex to hydrate your strands. My only complaint about this version is that I could only find it in the 12 oz size, but Sally's is running a sale this month for Buy One Get One Free, so I was able to pick up twice as much. I know it's silly to worry about, since my old shampoo was around $6 for a 6 oz bottle and it lasted forever, but when you buy the regular Mane n' Tail shampoo and conditioner in the ginormo bottles you get kind of bummed about dinky 12 ouncers.


The conditioner (and original shampoo) can often be found in huge bottles in the pet section of stores. I felt kind of weird buying conditioner in the pet aisle, but I've done worse in the name of beauty before. The conditioner spreads well through the hair and is very moisturizing while still being light. My hair has plenty of "slip" to it (meaning friction is reduced, along with the odds of breakage happening) and is super soft and shiny, but is still light enough to have wave or curl in it (one of my major complaints about conditioner). And, bonus points, I can use the original formula on my dogs. Chloe has been accidentally shocking me lately with the freezing cold, DRY air, so I took a quarter sized amount of conditioner and worked it through her fur. She smelled delicious, her fur was soft and shiny, and I haven't been shocked by my dog since!  

And while it hasn't been long enough to notice a ton of new growth, I can definitely see how this line would contribute to hair growth. There aren't any products out there that can actually make your hair grow faster. If there were they would be classified as drugs. There are some things that you can do to encourage hair growth (lay off the heat styling, eat well, drink lots of water, and go a bit longer in between washes) but you're not going to speed the process up a lot. You grow, on average, half an inch a month. That's it. However, these products definitely help prevent your hair from breaking, don't overly cleanse, and keep the hair hydrated so it can grow. The breakage especially will make your hair appear to stop growing, because it keeps breaking off at a certain point. I love winding my hair into a twist and then running my other hand down it now because my hair literally feels like silk rope. It is so soft and bouncy, but strong. The pricing is incredible, too - about $6 for the 32 oz bottles of regular shampoo and conditioner (and I don't have to buy a second product for my dogs as long as it is the regular stuff, hooray!). I love my Pony 'Poo! Have you ever tried Mane 'N Tail? Are you trying to grow your hair out? Would you ever buy beauty products in the pet aisle?

Colleen is horsin' around on Twitter @bevilledeggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment