Search This Blog

Thursday 20 February 2014

YoungBlood mineral cosmetics: my new love!

Hello again, lovelies! Feel free to watch the video review on these products here: 

 

Or continue reading for the wordy version!

Ok I mentioned in a previous post about the Almay Concealer and Highlighter that I'm looking for the perfect under eye concealer. Well, I think I've finally found it! A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the Ultimate Concealer in the colour Medium by a company called YoungBlood Mineral Cosmetics. I find a great selection locally at the Pharmasave in the town where I work.

Swatch of the Ultimate Concealer in medium
After trying the concealer for the past couple of weeks, I am so very much in love! It has a thin, creamy texture that blends like a dream. It also doesn't settle in my fine lines around and under my eyes, which has been a problem recently with some of the other concealers I've been using. It also has enough pigmentation to actually COVER the under eye circles. Now, it doesn't completely blank them out, so I still look human (which, in my opinion is what you want). I set it with the YoungBlood Pressed Mineral Rice Powder in Medium, which I picked up at the same time as the concealer because I was literally scraping the sides of my Korres Olive Oil and Rice pressed powder that I've been using for about a year now. (A side note, I LOVE that powder, but cannot find it anywhere anymore which is why the switch). I also love that the concealer is an excellent match for my skin. It still amazes me that I have to use a medium because I am so pale (comparable to MAC NC15 or Mary Kay Ivory 3) But, hey! It matches, so who cares!? 

 
I do need to mention that it is a little pricy as  YoungBlood claims to be a luxury company, so the $30 price point will certainly be a turn off for some. BUT if you consider that the line is touted as a very natural line of cosmetics, it might not be a bad price point for many. Here's a quote from their website: "Our products are free of talc, parabens, oil and fragrance, and have earned numerous awards including "Best Foundation" (Beauty Launchpad) and "Best Mineral Blush" (NewBeauty). We are herald by professional makeup artists, celebrities and customers alike for our comprehensive assortment of natural-looking shades that are easy to use, long-lasting and able to stand up to heat, humidity and perspiration." As for the longevity of their products, it's winter so I can't really speak to it, however I can say that once it's on, it doesn't move around like a lot of other products do.

And I love the packaging. It's sleek, the concealer and powder both come with a mirror for convenient application, and they store and stack nicely. 

The powder, also in medium, is lovely. It's $33, so comparable in price to other higher end companies. It's Rice based and has no talc in it. It is quite finely milled, so you do get a bit of dust kicked up when you apply it, but it goes on like a dream. It really mattes down the skin and I find that I only need to touch up at around mid-afternoon if I apply my makeup at about 7 in the morning. So for the longevity of this one - in the winter, anyway - I'd say is pretty good!

The other product that I have by the company is one of their cream blushes. It's actually a highlighter, and it is gorgeous! It's quite comparable in colour to MAC Shell, though MAC's product has larger particles and is a little more chunky looking. I really love this highlighter. I've had it for several months now, and use it very regularly. I like to apply it with a brush to the top of my cheekbones, and use my fingers to put some down the bridge of my nose and at the top of my cupid's bow. The price on these puppies is $27 and you get quite a bit of product. Also, because it's cream, a little goes a long way!

Cream Blush in Champagne Life
Swatch of the Champagne Life

Overall, I think YoungBlood is really onto something. The prices are quite reasonable for what you get, and the fact that the company was founded by a medical aesthetician (Pauline Youngblood), it stands to reason that the products should do what they claim to. In my opinion, they do, and I can't wait to try more products from this company!

No comments:

Post a Comment